Welcome to our community, where every audience member, artist, student, and supporter has the opportunity to fight for social justice. At C1…
- We strive to create intentional, authentic theatrical experiences that uniquely integrate content, style, space, and community.
- We amplify new stories and adventurous theatrical forms to define what’s next in the American theatre.
- We focus on growing our students’ authority, voice, and point of view, while developing artists into the next generation of change makers.
- Our work is responsive to what’s happening in our city, nation, and world.
- We work towards justice by challenging inequity and oppressive systems.
- Innovation, forward thinking, and collaboration lead the way.
- We center our work on reciprocal relationships with community partners.
- Representation is an act of social justice.
- Our growth is motivated by questioning the status quo, internally and externally.
- We strive for artistic excellence as defined by our collective community.
Select recent achievements:
- Filmed version of Idris Goodwin’s HYPE MAN named 2021 Best Virtual Theater Production by Boston Magazine.
- Awarded the 2020 Modeling Equity Organization Award by Boston Cultural Council
- Named Best of Boston by Boston Magazine (2019/2017/2015)
- National Mellon Foundation Resident Playwright Program
- Selected to the Barr-Klarman Massachusetts Arts Initiative
- TASC Social Justice Award
- Boston’s Best by Improper Bostonian (2017/2013)
- Selected to TCG’s national Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Institute
- “50/50 Applause Award” by the International Centre for Women Playwrights (gender parity) (2017/2015/2014)
- Selected to the Arts Innovation Management program with Bloomberg Philanthropies
- Featured in American Theatre Magazine for innovative audience engagement and dramaturgy
- Named a 2015 Social Innovator (Social Innovation Forum)
- Cited in The Boston Globe as one of the “12 Ideas for Making Boston more Inclusive”
- Awarded Official Resolution by then Boston City Councilor Ayanna Pressley for “countless contributions to Boston’s Art community and dedication to diversifying arts and theater in Boston.”